PPDG may have future opportunities for Healthcare and Healthcare Support positions in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The Behavioral Health Provider is a licensed independent clinical social worker who serves as a subject matter expert (SME) in mental health and substance use disorder (s). The BHP possess a high level of skill in the assessment, diagnoses, and treatment of patients with mental health concerns, and/or serious mental illness or serious mental disorders (SMI/SMD). The BHP conducts mental health evaluations to enhance the behavioral health treatment plan development and services for detainees with SMI/SMD to include referral to acute and/or inpatient mental health care as clinically determined. The BHP provides direct mental services, including on-site counseling, individual and group psychotherapy within diverse therapeutic modalities, substance abuse education, and behavioral analysis for detainees identified with mental health and substance use problems. The BHP conducts specialized programming within a Modified Therapeutic Treatment Community model. The BHP consults with medical, contract staff, and other healthcare professionals to conduct and provide education and training on continuity of care, treatment, monitoring and management of patients with co-occurring diagnoses.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
- Master’s Degree in Social Work from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Minimum of one-year experience as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, at the independent level as recognized in the state licensed, whereby clinical supervision is not required.
REQIURED LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION
- A current, permanent, full and unrestricted license to practice clinical social work independently in the state where the duty station is located.
- This position requires privileging by IHSC.
- Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers® certification through the American Heart Association® or the American Red Cross.
- Experience implementing and managing a new mental health treatment program and/or a Modified Therapeutic Community treatment model.(Preferred, not required)
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Cultural awareness.
- Integrity and honesty.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the case management process commensurate with training and education at the master’s level.
- Knowledge of and experience in the indications and contraindications, complications and techniques in the various social work treatment and diagnostic modalities.
- Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Ability to implement and manage services within a multi-disciplinary mental health treatment unit.
- Possess a strong understanding of the Modified Therapeutic Community treatment model.
- Knowledge of a diverse set of group and individual therapeutic modalities (examples include, but are not limited to: art, music, drama, creative-writing, life skills, etc.).
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English and/or Spanish (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web based training and communications.
- Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides direction and oversight to multi-disciplinary team in the implementation and management of an integrated mental health treatment program.
- Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and or granted privileges.
- Provides treatment of persons throughout the life span as appropriate to discipline and facility setting.
- Develops, manages and monitors patient treatment plans in coordination with behavioral health technicians to assess patient level of functioning and progress.
- May be expected to respond to and or coordinate response to medical emergencies.
- May be expected to provide telehealth services based on patient needs and healthcare situation.
- If providing tele-behavioral health services for patients at other IHSC facilities as needed and as the local facility allows, only in the states the provider is licensed, to include:
- Working with the patient’s local health staff to coordinate care for any identified behavioral health concerns (patient’s local administrative staff will coordinate the appointment).
- Using IHSC video teleconferencing equipment and electronic medical records (EMR) software to examine and record the patient’s plan of care.
- Tele-behavioral health services will be provided in accordance with the IHSC Tele-Mental Health Services policy.
- OPTIONAL: Provider may choose to obtain additional state licensing, outside of the state of his/her duty station, to provide out-of-state tele-behavioral health services.
- Assesses and evaluates the mental health of residents according to DSM V diagnosis and refer to outside treatment facilities if necessary.
- Works in conjunction with ICE/OPLA legal counsel providing written evaluation reports on the mental health status of individuals placed on SMI (Seriously Mental Illness) List.
- Provides weekly reports/updates on individuals on SMI list to HQ Behavioral Health Unit.
- Provides weekly reports/updates on individuals housed in segregation and report to HQ Behavioral Health Unit.
- Provides referral, identification, and evaluation for those identified as having a significant mental illness using Mental Health Review Form (IHSC-883).
- Provides brief counseling, psychotherapy, group therapy, behavioral analysis, and substance abuse education, as required by ICE Residential and Detention Standards.
- Provides mental health treatment to individuals that are present with signs/symptoms of sexual or physical assault, abuse, and/or neglect using the multidisciplinary approach.
- Provides mental health treatment to individuals that present with signs/symptoms of suicidal, dangerous, or psychotic behaviors.
- Provides post-discharge follow up for individuals returning from inpatient mental health treatment.
- Serves as the suicide prevention program coordinator in the absence of the Supervisory Behavioral Health Provider (BHP) and as assigned by Clinical Director if no Supervisory BHP is present.
- Possesses a high level of skill in assessing, recognizing, and treating behavioral or other mental health conditions that affect successful treatment.
- Serves as a mental health consultant to other health professionals at the facility.
- Develops training/clinical education materials as required and provides clinical education and training to medical, ICE, and contract staff.
- Provides education and training to ICE and medical staff in the area of mental health to include, but not limited to, suicide prevention, hunger strike, abuse and neglect and victims of torture.
- Responsible for all case management which may involve community treatment placement, hospital placement, or other after care situations.
- Coordinates and monitors program functions including Post Order Custody Reviews (POCR), and Availability of Health Care Programs.
- Obtains information to assist IHSC in responding to external inquiries regarding ICE Case Management Unit related issues.
- Coordinate with HQ Behavioral Health Unit for continuity of care for placement in, or treatment of, residents in appropriate settings as required by the conditions of release outlined by ICE.
- Utilizes EHR system for completing clinical assessments, evaluations, advanced care/placement referral initiation and transfer/discharge summaries. .
- Assists the case management team in the development of detail-oriented research into availability of healthcare resources for patients as needed upon discharge.
- Assists the local performance improvement coordinator in completion of clinical performance improvement activities/risk identification and management directly related to mental health healthcare in countries worldwide.
- Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
- Maintains functional proficiency and ease of use utilizing electronic health records as required by, and appropriate to, position.
- Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies testing, initially and annually.
- Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
- Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
- Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
- Adheres to, and participates in, IHSC’s Safety, Prevention, Infection and Control, Quality Improvement, Patient Education and other programs and collateral duties as appropriate to position.
- Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
- Provides oversight and consultation to behavioral health technicians and interns, as applicable.
DUTY HOURS/ ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS
- This full-time position requires availability to work days, evenings, as well as weekends and holidays. Night shifts may be, but are generally not required.
- This full-time position is required to provide rotational on-call coverage and may need to return to the facility to provide care during the coverage period.
- IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
The Department of Homeland Security’s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render an Initial Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial, and between, subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
- The work requires some physical exertion, such as long periods of standing; walking or jogging unaided over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; or recurring lifting of moderately heavy patients or equipment.
- The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities, such as agility and dexterity, visual, and hearing capabilities.
- Must be able to respond to any medical emergency in the facility, via foot, within four minutes and perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
- Must have the ability to assist sick, injured, or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency.